Friday, February 8, 2013

Let.It.Go. Week 1





I have joined an online bible study (OBS) group using the book “Let.It.Go” by Karen Ehman.  I purchased my copy on Amazon in the Kindle format. The OBS is hosted by Melissa Tayor and is located at http://melissataylor.org/.  This is my first OBS, I’ve done a couple other books at church with ladies groups. I look forward to growing my faith and relationship with God. I find I really like doing these studies.  I enjoy looking a scripture and applying it to my life.  I hope you do too!




1. WHAT-EVER! – “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” ~ Colossians 3:23 NIV84    I’ve been sick with the flu this week, so I’ve been doing the bare minimum, so admittedly, I’ve yet to apply this.  I did put it on my phone’s lock screen.  I do that often with inspiring words.  This verse is such a coverall.  Most immediate is the perspective on housework.  I get angry when I have to pick up after others.  Not nice to say, especially since I’m a stay-at-home-mom. When I pick up socks, legos, and things left around, I get mad.  No one follows me, looking for a spot where my things go.  I feel like I am the only one in a house of 5 people who cares, then I feel taken for granted. Now that my rant is over, I’ll go back to how this verse comes into play with these feelings.  If I look at a tidy house as a way of honoring God, and work for Him when I do housework, I feel less exasperated, then when I mumble to myself about my messy family.  When put into play in other areas I just feel if you give it your all, you use work as an example of what can be done when you’re God powered. It translates into a testimony of honoring God.

2. WiReD. –Hi, my name is Daphne Fitzpatrick and I have a tendency to control. I’m a loud, people pleaser, who plays martyr when I take on too much and feel unappreciated. But I have hope and so do you! The quiz results were bordering between easygoing yet, take charge and manipulative depending on the situation.  I hope this study allows me to trust God more often.  I’m already praying more before tasks, just asking for strength and to do His will.  I’m hoping to be calmer, because I will trust more, while worrying and shouldering less.  

3. Ooo! Shiny! – I loved learning about the difference between a tool, toy and tangent. The world really has a lot of choice. I find that Facebook represents all three to me.  Facebook is a tool, when I use to connect with friends and family, gather new recipes or money saving coupons.  It’s a toy when I play a game, laugh at a funny post, or just relax.  It becomes a tangent, when I let it suck my time, read negative things, play games to much, or just spend time clicking because I’m procrastinating on other things.  I’ve learned to use my tiny iPhone screen as a weapon against Facebook tangents.  I only check specific pages, instead of trying to catch up with everything, like I do when I sit down to my computer. Many days I use it as only tool or toy, but tangents come along often enough. This is making me even more aware of the tangent usage. I plan to do that less.

Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

  1. Daphne-
    Thank you SO MUCH for participating in the blog hop. Praying for all of us as we learn to stop trying to control and start trusting God. Have a great weekend and remember to LET. IT. GO. :-)
    {Hugs} Karen Ehman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne! God is good at showing us how to look at our mundane "time sucking" gadgets, duties and such; YOU have total control over the FB time, emailing and so forth, but as you approach the household messies, make a game about it, to create fun memories with the kids - and it helps raise the atmosphere to a fun place rather than duty. (ie: who can put their toys away the fastest gets a cookie. Or, what would be a good place for you to put your shoes to make it easy so we don't trip over them and fall on our face and brake our nose! CAN YOU IMAGINE THE blood THAT might shoot all over - and oh my it would make a huge ugly mess! - you get the drift, be creative, it makes it funny and uses imagination!). Cuz chores... they are a bore! Day in and day out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne,I've learned when I consider all I do, I do for The Lord, it's makes doing it so much easier. I feel myself kick it into high gear and also teaches me discipline. I hope you had a wonderful weekend and I wish you a very blessed week ahead!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete